I just began a journey around the world; through food.
Going to cook a recipe from every country/dependent territory in the world.
1st up Tokelau, which was challenging to find a national dish for.
Ota seemed to be the best match. Added lemongrass, Korean chili, mint, garlic and ginger to the typical recipe.
6 servings as an appetizer
- 1/2 lb. Sashimi Grade Tuna, cut into bite sized cubes
- 2 Limes, zested and juiced
- 1 small piece of Lemongrass, harder outer leaves removed, smashed with meat tenderizer or back of knife
- 1 clove Garlic, peeled and grated with a micro plane or finely minced
- 1 inch piece of Ginger, peeled and grated with a micro plane or finely minced
- 1/2 Korean Red Pepper, finely minced (can substitute a jalapeno)
- 1 Japanese Cucumber, quartered and seeded
- 1 medium Tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 large Shallot, finely minced
- Small handful of Mint, chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk
- Cut the Tuna into bite size chunks and place in shallow container
- Zest Limes, reserve zest
- Juice Limes and pour juice over tuna, add smashed piece of lemongrass and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Toss Tuna in Lime juice 2 times while marinating to ensure even coverage.
- Grate Garlic
- Grate Ginger
- Finely mince Korean Red Pepper
- Quarter seed and cube Japanese Cucumber
- Seed and dice Tomato
- Finely mince Shallot
- Mince Mint
- Thinly slice Green Onion
- Add a 1/4 cup coconut milk and all remaining ingredients to tuna, season with salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate additional 5 minutes
Serve with Taro or Tortilla Chips