This is a really straight forward recipe, that is easy to prepare as side dish while focusing on a more complex main dish. A very comforting and velvety soup, perfect for cold winter days.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1/2 stick (4 T) unsalted butter
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 2 large Leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced and well washed to remove grit
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 rib of Celery chopped
- 2 1/2 C Chicken Stock
- 1 medium Russet Potato (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
- 1 C Cream
- 1 small bunch of Green Onion thinly sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Melt Butter in dutch oven over low heat.
- Add Onion, Leeks, Garlic, and Celery to pot, cover and cook over low heat for 18 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid browning.
- Add Stock and Potato to pot, increase heat to high until boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until Potatoes are cooked through.
- Transfer soup to blender (I like to use a Vitamix, starting on the lowest variable speed to prevent splashing, and then increasing speed slowly up to max speed), thoroughly blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer soup back to pot and return to a simmer, and add Cream.
- Season soup with Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Garnish with Green Onion.
- Serve immediately.