For the Marinated Pork:
- 3.5 lb boneless Pork Shoulder
- Juice from 3 large Oranges
- Juice of 3 large Limes
- 1 C Mango Nectar
- 8 oz can of crushed Pineapple (Optional)
- 1/4 C Olive Oil
- 1 oz. Rum
- 2 t Salt
- 1 t Pepper
- 2 T Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 2 T Oregano, minced
- 1 small bulb of Garlic, minced
- 2 Bay Leaves
For the Garlic Mayo:
- 1 large bulb of Garlic, roasted
- Olive Oil to drizzle
- 3/4 C mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Lime zest (optional)
For the Sauteed Onions:
- 2 large Onions, halved lengthwise and sliced into thick strips
- Reserved Pork Drippings from searing Pork Shoulder
- 1 T Olive Oil
For Sandwich Assembly:
- 6-8 Individually sized baguette rolls, ideally Macrina Bakery “Giuseppe” rolls (Met Market carries these). You can also just cut whole baguettes into 6 inch pieces. Very dense crusty bread works best here as it holds up to the juicy pork.
- Romaine Lettuce Hearts
- Pickled Jalapenos
For the Pork:
- Juice 3 Oranges and 3 Limes and add to a large bowl along with 1 C. Mango Nectar, an 8 oz can of crushed Pineapple, 1/4 C. Olive Oil, 1 oz Rum, 2 t. Salt, 1 t. Pepper, and 2 T. Brown Sugar. Using a whisk mix well until sugar is dissolved.
- Dice 1 medium Onion
- Mince 2 T of fresh Oregano
- Mince 1 small bulb of Garlic (about 10 cloves)
- Add diced Onion, minced Oregano, minced Garlic and 2 whole Bay Leaves to liquid marinade, mix well.
- Place Pork Shoulder in large Ziploc bag and pour marinade over pork, remove as much air from the bag as possible and seal.
- Marinate Pork for at least 4 and up to 24 hours, turning as needed to ensure full coverage of marinade.
- Remove Pork from marinade and pat dry, reserve Marinade.
- In a large skillet heat a couple T. of Oil over medium-high heat.
- Sear pork in skillet until well browned on all sides. Do not wash the pan, you will caramelize the onions in the reserved pork fat.
- If roast was tied with twine remove twine, then transfer Pork and reserved marinade to Instant Pot.
- Seal Instant Pot and set to manual mode for 90 minutes high pressure. At this point prepare Garlic Mayo, Caramelized Onions and Sandwich Garnishes.
- After 90 minutes at pressure quick release Instant Pot and open lid.
- Using a fork, break Pork into bite sized chunks.
For the Garlic Mayo:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the top off a large Garlic Bulb and drizzle well with Olive Oil
- Wrap Garlic in Foil and bake in the oven until Garlic is softened (about 1 hour.)
- Squeeze the Garlic to remove it from the skins, and mash into a paste.
- Mix Garlic with 3/4 C. of Mayonnaise, juice of 1 Lime, and optionally the zest of 1 Lime.
For the Caramelized Onions:
- Halve 2 Onions lengthwise, then cut into 1 inch thick slices.
- Add 1 T. Olive Oil to the same skillet that was used to sear the pork and heat over medium low heat.
- Cook stirring often until Onion is well caramelized, 20-30 minutes.
Assembling the Sandwiches:
- Chop Romaine Lettuce into bite sized pieces
- Heat oven to broil.
- Cut rolls in half and spread the Garlic Mayo over each side.
- Place rolls under broiler just until the Mayo starts to bubble, about 1 minute.
- Layer the rolls with Pork using a slotted spoon, followed by the Caramelized Onions, Pickled Jalapeno, Lettuce and Cilantro.
- If not using Instant Pot or pressure cooker, there are a couple other options I have tried that work well. After step 10 in the Roast Pork section you can proceed with the following
- Roast pork in a dutch oven (such as a Le Creuset) at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours covered, turn the meat and then cook an additional 2 hours uncovered or until tender.
- Alternatively add Pork to a slow cooker (crock-pot) and cook on low heat for 8 hours or until tender.